Center Chapel United Methodist Church has ministered to the farming community just east of Marion, Indiana for more than 130 years. The original church was built in 1887. One hundred years later, in 1987, they expanded the building. In less than half that time, they need more space to house their expanding ministries.
The congregation had been talking and praying about a building addition for around nine years, until they knew the time was right. They had been “making do” by offering two services. They were still growing and soon realized that these services were not enough. They desperately needed more worship space and classrooms. The new addition, a 6,500 sq. ft. multi-purpose space, which they call a ministry center, will host a fellowship hall, a kitchen, a nursery, a classroom, restrooms, and storage. This expansion has created space for additional new classrooms.
The new addition will be used for community events and other life groups meeting at the church several times a week. Their Celebrate Recovery Ministry, a Christ-centered 12-step program, has been growing and needed more room, which this addition will accommodate.